This summer I discovered Wetzels Pretzels and I loved it!
After 2 months I started to miss these little pretzels bites so
I tried and made my own. They tasted just like the ‘real’ ones.
This is the recipe of Sallybakingaddiction.
I changed some thing in the recipe that i found “better working” or things that I
found in the recipe that didn’t work from my own experience.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300ml) warm water (lukewarm, no need to take temperature)
- 1 packet instant yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon (8g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) unsalted butter, previously melted and not scorching hot
- 3.75 – 4.25 cups (470- 530g) all-purpose flour + more for the counter surface to knead
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
This is how you make the pretzel bites.
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir with a spoon, some clusters of yeast
may remain. Mix the melted butter, sugar and yeast together in a mixing bowl with a
wooden spoon. (if you’re working with a Kitchen aid, use the dough hook)
Then add the salt, make sure the yeast and salt don’t touch directly.
Add in the flour, start with 3 cups and add 1 cup at a time until all the flour is in.
If you touch the dough and it bounces back it is ready to knead.
If it is a little sticky, keep adding flour until it bounces.
2. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured counter. Knead the dough for about
3 minutes. (you can also do this with your stand mixer)
Put the dough in a large mixing bowl (that is lightly coated in nonstick spray)
Cover it with a towel and let it rest for about 15 minutes in a warm area.
3. Preheat the oven to 218°C (425°F)
Line two baking sheets with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
4. Cut the dough into 6 sections with a sharp knife.
Roll each section into 20-inch (50 cm) long ropes. Cut each rope into 1.5 (4 cm) inch
pieces to make bites. (you don’t need to measure this perfectly, you can just
do this on how big/smal you want you bites to be)
5. Boil 9 cups of water with baking soda. Drop 8-10 pretzel bites in the water
and let them cook for 20 seconds. Remove with a spatula and place them on
your baking sheet. Make are the bites aren’t touching.
6. Brush a beaten egg over each pretzel bite. Sprinkle them with sea salt.
Put your pretzel bites in the oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
Totally try these out! They are awesome to give people
when they come over.
Lots Of Love Hannah